The inspiration for this
initiative was a culmination of a number of factors, primarily
· A desire to begin to give back to Nigeria today as opposed to waiting until we have amassed wealth and influential professional status
· Knowledge that peers with similar academic and societal privileges were frequently inadequately positioned to obtain stellar professional opportunities
· The disheartening fact that the education system in Nigerian is suffering from major underinvestment in both human and capital resources
· The limited level of community activism among privileged youth
· Belief that the
establishment of credible organizations that provide academic guidance, career
planning and professional support can serve as a viable mitigant to the human
capital challenge plaguing
2. Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that your organization is mainly focused on helping the youth maximize their personal and professional experience? If so, can you expand on how you do that?
IMPACT aims to build a community of activists with a strong commitment to leadership, self improvement and drive to positively impact their environment.
3. What are some of the things or systems you have or are currently working on to actually realize your the mission of your organization?
On January 5, 2007, the IMPACT Initiative hosted its inaugural event, “The Annual IMPACT Youth Forum”, targeted at senior secondary school and A-level students.
The focus of this event was equipping students with the necessary tool-kit for becoming well-rounded students and leaders in the community. Through our panels we tackled various issues to increase student awareness of how to seek out and take advantage of opportunities in the school setting that enable them to broaden their non-academic interests; and how to set career goals for themselves early on in the game.
4. I like the idea of your youth forum, it's priceless. It sounds like it is a place where experienced and seasoned professionals come and tell their story of how they got where they are. When do you normally have the seminars/workshop?
In the past, we've tried to have them during the Christmas break when we're usually home and those of our panelists who live and work outside Nigeria can return home to participate in our event. In the future though, as IMPACT expands, we will be organizing events more evenly throughout the year
5. In what ways can people help your organization achieve its goals?
help develop a Nigeria comprised of motivated individuals willing to maximize opportunities for themseslves and their fellow citizens, to improve the quality of life for all, allowing our country to achieve its true potential
6. I noticed that you already have 4 members in I.M.P.A.C.T, is there room for other people who are interested in joining and what are the membership requirements?
Yes indeed! There's always room for dedicated hard-working reliable people who share IMPACT's vision and want to be a part of our team. Since our last forum, we've already expanded to a team of almost 10 people, (mainly ad hoc volunteers, but we welcome those as well!)
7. How is the response so far and how many people would you say you have been able to inspire?
Our first Youth Forum had about 110 students alone in attendance and our second one (Jan 2008) had about 230 people in attendance.
8. Where can people get more information about you guys if they have any questions or comments?
9. Is there anything else you would like to say regarding your organization?
We look forward to expanding IMPACT's activities in the coming years and eventually, taking our model beyond Nigeria.